Decision

February 25, 2012

After writing THIS POST, I did a lot more research on the subject and have made the decision to delete my pinboards.

Before you think that I am being harsh read THIS and THIS and THIS and THIS and THIS and THIS

Here is a piece of Pinterest's TERMS OF USE:

“…you either are the sole and exclusive owner of all Member Content that you make available through the Site, Application and Services or you have all rights, licenses, consents and releases that are necessary to grant to Cold Brew Labs the rights in such Member Content, as contemplated under these Terms…”

I don't know about you, but I definitely did not have the rights to about 95% of the things that I had pinned. I do love the idea of Pinterest, but I do not love the liability that it comes with. Being sued for pinning something is not my idea of fun.

Unfortunately the issue isn't even ensuring that you are linking to the original source or that you have permission to pin something. Another part of Pinterest's Terms of Use states:

"By making available any Member Content through the Site, Application or Services, you hereby grant to Cold Brew Labs a worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, royalty-free license, with the right to sublicense, to use, copy, adapt, *modify, distribute, license, sell, transfer, publicly display, publicly perform, transmit, stream, broadcast, access, view, and otherwise EXPLOIT such Member Content only on, through or by means of the Site, Application or Services."

WHAT THE WHAT?!?

This is NOT ok. I do not want to give Pinterest the rights to my photographs or anyone else's intellectual property.

So until there are some major changes to the site I will opt out of "pinning".

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your kind words. xoxo

/// erin faye photography All rights reserved >>>>> © Blog Milk Design